Calling all yogis, this DIY yoga mat cleaner spray tutorial is for all of us.
Regardless of what style of yoga you practice, where you practice or how often you practice, it’s always necessary and rejuvenating to clean our yoga mats. And truthfully, I’m one of those yogis who went way too damn long without cleaning her mat.
It’s pretty nasty, I’ll admit.
But with all the different types of mats, different care instructions, different textures and needs – it became to messy and intimidating to even clean my mat. This all changed once I started creating a mat cleaner that worked for me. Yogis, I introduce you to the….
DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner
with essential oils, the most important part!
So the question still stands, why take the extra effort to make your own yoga mat spray with essential oils?
Let me tell ya.
- It’s more cost effective over time.
- You can choose the cocktail of scents and properties based on your essential oil preferences.
- It’s cool to make your own ish, obviously.
- It’s empowering to know what is being used on your mat (and body) & where it came from.
- DIY activities are awesome to do with family & friends, it’s an immediate bonding moment, so brownie points for you!
Okurrrr, have I convinced you yet?
Yup, thought so.
Let’s get into the how-tos of brewing your very own yoga mat cleaner spray with essentials oils.
For this DIY tutorial, I’ve partnered with Miracle Essential Oils to bring you high-quality products and a company with years of experience in the essential oil community. If you dig the idea of making your own yoga mat spray, check out the link below for discounted oils, some as low as $1.
Say whattttttt, one dollar for high-quality oils, yup – that is correct! Go get your shopping yogi self on!
And now back to our scheduled programming…..
- Small spray bottle (2 – 4 ounces will do). You can also buy your bottle from Miracle Essentials Oil.
- Distilled or spring water (3/4 of the spray bottle).
- Tea Tree Oil or your choice of oil – only 2 drops, for it’s antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- 1 drop of Your Favorite Miracle Essentials Oil, I recommend lavender (or whatever oil you already love & own).
- Optional – witch hazel or white vinegar (fill 1/4 of the spray bottle). If using either of these, add a few more drops of essential oils to combat the strong aroma.
Okay yogis, that’s the magic formula to create your concoction, but I want to dive a bit deeper into other oils that can be used, how to choose your oils, and additional ways to use them throughout our daily journey.
If you don’t dig Tea Tree Oil…
Try the below oils instead for their antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oils are great for uplifting and revitalizing your mood and senses. It helps support digestion, provides antioxidants, and helps increase your energy and focus.
*Plus, lemon and tea tree oil are regularly used in household cleaners, giving you two opportunities to try DIY products!
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
This oil is a favorite for relaxing environments like a spa, massage room or yoga studio. The scent and properties promote clear and deep breathing, can aid in respiratory support, and serves as an antibacterial.
*Personal Tip – When receiving a massage and on your belly, ask for a towel to be placed on the ground beneath your nose with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. It will immediately clear the nasal pathways, making your massage that much sweeter.
Peppermint Essential Oil
I LOVE peppermint oil for it’s potent pick-me-up quality.
It’s strong, yet soothing scent is perfect for awakening the senses, revitalizing the mind, and promoting healthy respiratory support & clear breathing.
*Use in the afternoon when feeling sluggish to uplift your soul and recenter your focus. It works like magic!
And lastly, why is lavender suggested as a the complimentary oil?
- It encourages a calm, soothing state of being.
- Incredibly versatile – use before bed, for headaches, or as a cleaner.
- The scent isn’t overpowering, but just right.
*For bedtime use – rub on your wrists, behind your ears, on your feet or a few drops on your pillow for an extra calm and soothing experience.
Now, it’s your turn.
Choose a handful of your favorite oils by clicking here, gather all the necessary ingredients, and get to creating your personal, just for you, suits your personality, you can’t get enough of it…
Yoga Mat Cleaner Spray!
Until next time, xoxo.