Are you like me?
Curious about the moon, intrigued by the different moon phases, wondering if it’s truly possible or truly bullshit that we can align our energy with the moon and use that alignment to inspire our actions and support us as modern way women?
Oh you are like me….. well then, welcome to a powerful moon conversation.
Within this conversation, we’ll cover the four moon phases and their different energetic components, how women’s cycles, seasons, and stages of life can align with the moon, how to put this information into practice and finally – an invitation to dive deeper and continue working with the moon, with me!
Quick pause, let’s chat about that invitation ⬇️
This conversation is a preview to the 30 Day Lunar Cycle Yoga Program that begins on August 2nd inside the Body Mind Soul Studio (my monthly membership yoga community). If you want to explore and experience four weeks of moon material, then don’t hesitate babe, come join us before it’s too late because the studio doors are closing (until 2020) when this journey begins!
Okay modern day goddesses, shall we begin? Let’s dive in.
Meet the Moon Phases
For simplicity, this section and the 30 Day Lunar Cycle Yoga Program centers on the the four significant phases of the moon. There are several other phases one can learn and put into practice, but baby steps, yeah?
Now let me be clear before we begin this journey together – you don’t need to be bleeding to use the moon phase system, you don’t need to have a regular period, you can be on a contraceptive, you can be pregnant, and you can be in the transition from a period to menopause. This system is robust enough, flexible enough, and intelligent enough to serve everyone woman’s needs. You can choose to align your energy with the current moon phase, with the quarterly season, with the life stage you’re in, or with your current phase of menstruation.
You get to choose what works for you, what interests you, and what inspires you….. but more on how to do this inside the 30 Day Lunar Cycle Yoga Program.
Okay, shall we meet the moon phases? Below are the four moon phases with their need to know information.
- Energy – yin or feminine
- Season – wintertime
- Women’s cycle – menstruation phase, physical bleeding
- Other names – Fertile Void, Oracle Phase
- Life stage – fourth, post-menopause, crone archetype, defined by wisdom
- Chakras – sacral, third eye, crown chakra connection
- Characteristics – darkness, pause, stillness, rest, reflection, healing period
- Core Intention – Listen to Your Intuition
Think about the season of winter.
The days grow shorter as the nights grow longer and darkness takes over. The cold temperatures drive us inside and often times causes feelings of isolation and solitude. Mother nature assumes a period of death where almost all living plants shed their livelihood and animals hibernate and rest. It is indeed a fertile void during this time, and yet a powerful process is happening within, beneath the surface, undetectable to the human eye.
It is the process of the pause.
It is the process of healing, letting go, shedding, resting, reflecting, and listening.
It is the process of accessing your inner compass and discovering your powerful instincts.
It is the process of setting heartfelt intentions.
It is the process of opening to your best ideas and innovations.
It is the process of birth, evolution, growth, and renewal.
And sadly, it’s a process that many of us overlook, trample over, ignore, and resist due to societies present day view of periods and the process of the pause.
Think about the season of winter or if you’re a woman whose currently bleeding, think about your period. Do you make space for the pause here? Do you rest and retreat? Do you reflect and listen? Do you set meaningful intentions for the next season? Do you believe in your ideas and intuition?
Because I’m writing this post and because I’m a woman who does bleed, I’ll answer these questions from my perspective.
It’s interesting how even me, a woman who works within the “self-help” sphere and has a hall pass to experiment and spend time exploring these concepts, still doesn’t extend a permission slip to embrace them. I still feel pressured to keep doing-doing-doing while I’m bleeding-bleeding-bleeding, laying in bed with terrible cramps and a heavy period.
Why is this?
Why don’t we listen to our bodies or the energy of the seasons? Why in ancient times did women have a red tent to rest in, surrounded by their fellow bleeding sisters, that excused them from village duties? Why in modern times do we treat our period as taboo, something we only speak about in private, a thing to be embarrassed about or hide, or an experience we attempt to get rid of or weaken via contraceptive?
My best guess is…. through our evolution we slowly severed the connection, and now many of us have little to no knowledge as to how we can embrace and connect with this period or season.
So sisters, this is your invitation to change that.
Below are modern day strategies to align your energy with the new moon:
- Embrace the softness of your feminine nature
- Prioritize rest and relaxation
- Experience stillness and silence
- Practice meditation, specifically this one!
- Practice restorative yoga with an awareness at your pelvis/womb
- Keep track of intuitive and instinctual hits
- Listen to your ideas, entertain them, believe in them
- Spend time with your journal
- Work with the sacral, third eye, and crown chakra elements
- Energy – yang or masculine
- Season – springtime
- Women’s cycle – follicular phase, the week after menstruation
- Other names – Emergence Phase, Warrior Phase
- Life stage – first, pre-period, maiden archetype, young woman filled with energy and determination
- Chakras – root, sacral, and solar chakra connection
- Characteristics – new beginnings, abundance of energy, re-birth and renewal
- Core Intention – Rise into Your Potential
Think about the transition from winter to spring, what happens here?
The envelope of darkness fades to an emergence of light and life. We witness re-birth and renewal everywhere; from the the timing of the sunrise and sunset, to the first shades of greenery and color, to the warmer temperatures, to the appearance of more and more animals – the world literally comes back to life after a period of healing and rest.
This real life analogy is exactly what we experience too, if we choose to commune. If we choose to recognize that this moon phase, this season, this stage of life, or this period of menstruation is an invitation to root down and rise high. If we honored the previous phase, then our energy is ready and poised for new beginnings, new projects, brainstorming, getting involved, pursuing our goals, new habits or life changes, and moving our dreams from consciousness to the earth plane.
You can think of yourself as a warrior during this phase, filled with support, strength, and sustenance. Your system is THRIVING! Your energetic sheath is a fertile ground for your new moon intentions to take root and blossom.
This is the moment to take action!
But do take caution too as this phase can easily extend into others, convincing us that doing, doing, doing is the only way to behave. Doing is a third chakra activity that requires power, focused will, and determination, but remember, the third chakra element is fire and fire has the ability to burn out or overheat, two experiences we can avoid if we adopt moon cycle awareness and practices.
Below are modern day strategies to work with this phase of the moon:
- Put new behaviors or desired habits into motion
- Engage in physical exercise, especially aerobic or weight-training
- Embrace any form of stillness to avoid overheating
- Say YES to adventure and new opportunities
- Create an aligned action plan to fulfill your goals or dreams
- Don’t underestimate your power and strength
- Avoid complaining or negative thinking
- Practice patience and have faith that your efforts matter
- Work with the root, sacral, and solar plexus chakra elements
- Energy – yang or masculine
- Season – summertime
- Women’s cycle – ovulation phase, peak fertility for creation
- Other names – Visibility Phase or Creator Phase
- Life stage – second, when we have a period, mother archetype, devoted to others, devoted to the creation of her life
- Chakras – sacral, heart, throat chakra connection
- Characteristics – magnetic energy, bright, light, abundance, resonance
- Core Intention – Release Perfection & Forgive, Let Yourself Be Heard & Seen
We’ve reached the peak of the lunar cycle, say hello to the full moon.
The full moon aligns with summertime, masculinity, and yang-like energy. It’s here that you are your most magnetic, bright self with the ability to be the center of attention, to be the host of the party, to share your message, and to capitalize upon self-expression. It’s also the time for creation, both in the context of getting pregnant and further birthing your goals and dreams into reality.
While the full moon provides the opportunity to embrace your inner goddess and tap into passion, it’s also a wonderful time to release perfection and practice forgiveness and compassion.
Below are modern day strategies to work with this moon phase:
- Practice heart + throat chakra yoga classes
- Host an event, party, workshop, presentation, etc.
- Schedule projects that involve communication
- Spend time looking after your home (clean, organize, decorate)
- Keep a daily forgiveness list
- Recommit to your new moon intentions
- Prioritize intimacy and romance
- Work with the sacral, heart, and throat chakra elements
- Energy – yin or feminine
- Season – autumn
- Women’s cycle – luteal phase, week before menstruation
- Other names – Culmination Phase or Sorceress Phase
- Life stage – third, transition into menopause, crone archetype
- Chakras – root, sacral, solar plexus chakra connection
- Characteristics – turning inward, completing things, preparing to rest, embodiment of femininity
- Core Intention – Fulfill Your Commitments, Embrace Your Wild Woman
As the full moon begins to wane, the lunar cycle transitions back to feminine, yin-like energy with the season being like autumn. The lightness and brightness of summertime fades to cooler and cozier temperatures, which signals nature to prepare for winter and turn inward.
The beauty of this phase is that we are poised for detailed work, to cross items off the to-do list, to fulfill our commitments, and to finish what we started. This is an opportunity to practice focused intention, honor endings and beginnings, and get prepared for the next phase so rest, relaxation, reflection, and introspection can happen.
This is also a time to embrace your “wild woman.”
For women, this is the transition from motherhood and the creation of your life to menopause, and it’s within this transition that many women feel the call to reinvent themselves. The ego begins to wane and what comes forth is a fully embodied, expressive, uninhibited woman who feels confident and connected. This woman is no longer tamed by the ego or societies standards, rather she is finally FREE. I’ve witnessed my own mother go through this phase and re-discover that after having and raising three children, she still has a purpose, she still has her health, she still has beauty, and she still has a journey to fulfill.
If you’re in this stage of life, do you feel this way too?
Below are modern day strategies to align with the waning moon:
- Practice mindful movement, like gentle yoga
- Take control of your schedule
- Make a list of your must-do priorities (and do them)
- Do detailed, administrative like work
- Continue to manifest your dreams by focusing on the details
- Allow yourself to transition into the next phase (aka rest and relax)
- Embrace your wild woman nature, dance, chant, be sexual!
- Work with the root, sacral, solar plexus chakra elements
These are the four moon phases that can support us as modern day women and offer wisdom to inform and inspire our actions. As you now understand, the lunar cycle is a powerful system with inherent connections to women’s hormonal cycles, the seasons, and the greater life stages we experience – giving us a multitude of ways to practice them and embody them. Each of us gets to choose how we work with this system and how much of it we embrace on a day-to-day basis.
Personally, I’m taking baby steps towards understanding my hormonal cycle and the various energetic shifts that happen within this four week period. With only a few years away from contraceptives, this is newer territory that I feel called to pay attention to and experiment with. But please remember, you get to choose what most interests you!
Which brings me back to my invitation…… 30 Day Lunar Cycle Yoga Program.
Let me break it down for ya ⬇️
Inside the BMS Studio, we seek to evolve our yoga practice off the mat through systems like the moon, the chakras, and yoga philosophy and psychology, while advancing our physical practice through weekly yoga classes, yogic breathing exercises, and meditation. Every month the theme changes and this month is dedicated to the lunar system.
If you feel called to go deeper with the lunar system and receive hand-crafted body-mind-soul material that’s tailored to each phase of the moon, then come join us inside the studio where myself and a group of incredible women will be doing the work and supporting one another through the process.
Psst: Don’t forget, the studio doors are closing until 2020 at the beginning of this journey, so don’t wait until it’s too late! I hope to see you inside the studio and if not, please use the information here to guide your personal experience in aligning your energy with the lunar system!
All my love,