Welcome to your right to be here.
And welcome to a new yoga class experience, a new month, and a new season.
Your new yoga class is a root chakra vinyasa practice that seeks to strengthen your lower-body foundation. Yep, it’s going to be a tad challenging and yes, it includes all the root chakra body parts (glutes, legs, knees, ankles, feet).
The new season is the upcoming Spring Equinox, a seasonal shift that marks the onset of a new experience and one that I particularly love for these qualities – light, warmth, emergence, rise, birth, blossom, expand, and extend. These qualities describe the individual and collective earthly energy we can experience (if we choose to tap into it).
Psst: Inside the BMS Studio, the entire month is dedicated to your root chakra and marrying it with the Spring Equinox. Want in on the experience? Click here to become a studio member.
So, why the root chakra? And what is the root chakra?
The root chakra is the first energetic center within the chakra system, and the chakra system is a collection of inner chambers that exist within the subtle body. The body that you can’t see, but can absolutely feel.
The root chakra is located at the base of the spine, think the area between your genitals and anus (way down there), and it’s been mapped to the coccygeal plexus (a bundle of nerves connected to the tailbone).
Because of it’s positioning, it is the foundation for both your chakra system and your spinal column. In terms of energy, it marks the beginning of the chakra liberation current which travels upwards towards freedom, and it marks the completion of the chakra manifestation current which travels downwards towards individuality.
Your root chakra is the foundation upon which everything rests!
Before we go annyyyy further, let’s discuss some root chakra basics.
- Sanskrit name – muladhara, which means root support
- Location – base of spine, legs, knees, feet, bones, and skin
- Purpose – survival and stability
- Goals – connection, grounding, physical health, trust, prosperity
- Element – earth
- Color – red
- Sound – LAM
- Activity – having
- Relation to self – self-preservation
- Identity – physical identity
- Demon – fear
- Excessive – heavy, monotony, lethargic, obesity, hoarding, materialism, greed
- Deficient – fearful, undisciplined, restless, underweight, ephemeral
- Harmony – stability, physical health harmony
- Development – conception to 6 months old
- Important factors – family and childhood experiences in relation to safety, stability, support, health, and finances
These basics provide a framework to understand your root chakra, but how the hell are you supposed to create balance here? What are the secret tricks?
Great question! Let’s talk about it.
When I sat down to create an entire month of supportive root chakra materials, these are the energetic containers that came to me.
Nourishment. Grounding. Physical Health. Environment. Mental & Emotional Healing.
Now within these categories, I’ve mapped out individual aligning practices too. Below are 1-2 examples, but the entire root chakra guide is inside the BMS Studio (if that interests you).
- Nourishment – rejuvenating sleep and meditation.
- Grounding – outdoor activities, chanting LAM, restorative yoga
- Physical Health – proper posture, protein rich foods, lower-body conditioning
- Environment – indoor plants, cleanliness & organization
- Mental & Emotional – making sense of your finances, body acceptance & appreciation
What’s so interesting to me is that even though I grew up in a “white picket fence” scenario with no major family or childhood trauma, I’ve still got a pretty fucked up root chakra. I really, wholeheartedly, truly thought that because I came from an intact family who provided love, support, and the financial means to achieve my dreams, that there couldn’t possibly be a misalignment here.
And after four years of studying the chakra system, I also thought I knew my shit. Hah! I was wrong and how beautiful is that because the first step to create change is always AWARENESS.
Your girl is aware, thank you universe, root chakra stated noted.
You might be wondering, whaddya mean you have a fucked up root chakra? Can you explain?
Here’s what I mean. Through my life experiences, I’ve developed a set of beliefs, and not from indoctrination (my family), but rather from socialization (culture) and self-created thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- I believe consistent NOURISHMENT is for the weak.
- I believe STRENGTHENING exercises aren’t really necessary for my body’s integrity.
- I believe messy FINANCES aren’t a big deal.
- I believe my gut intuition isn’t TRUSTWORTHY.
- I believe BOUNDARIES are whatever and last minute efforting will always prevail.
- I believe my masculine energy provides more WORTHINESS than my femininity.
- I believe playing BIG isn’t for me, I’ll stay in the middle where it’s comfortable.
Notice the words in ALL CAPS, these are root chakra properties and practices.
Any of them sounding familiar? Any of them resonating with your subtle body? Any of them brushing up against your belief system?
Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh.
Now for me, here’s the antidote to my fucked up root chakra.
A little more nourishment. A little more strength (okay, a lot more). A little more organization. A little more trust in my capabilities. A little more more grounded discipline. A little more right brain, yin time. A little more coloring outside the lines.
These are the energetic ingredients my root chakra needs? What does yours need?
To answer this question, I have a few suggestions.
First, do today’s yoga class and notice if afterwards you feel more grounded, stable within your lower body, and energetically supported throughout your day. Second, do a deep into your root chakra via books, yoga classes, and some of the practices I mentioned above.
If you’re interested in dedicating an entire month to root chakra alignment, then the BMS Studio doors are wide open, waiting for you to step inside. Below is a quick overview of what you can experience over the next five weeks:
- Week 1: Root Chakra Vinyasa Class – Build Your Lower-Body Foundation
- Week 2: Root Chakra Power Class – Strengthen Your Roots
- Week 3: Root Chakra Restorative – Nourish Your Body
- Week 4: Root Chakra Vinyasa – Rise High into Prosperity
- Week 5: Root Chakra Hatha – Respect Your Boundaries
Plus, every yoga class marries the root chakra properties with the upcoming Spring Equinox by using the analogy of a plant to guide our experience.
A plant? What does that even mean? I will explain, in order of the above weekly yoga classes.
A plant requires a solid foundation to begin it’s journey with equal parts soft and strong, permeable and powerful soil. A plant requires a strong root system to extend down, expand out, and rise high. A plant requires nourishment in the form of right nutrients (soil, water, sunlight, air). A plant requires equal parts masculine and feminine energy to blossom and prosper. A plant requires boundaries, protection, and respect if it’s to survive and thrive.
You are THIS PLANT and your root chakra is the key to unlocking your right to be here and your right to have.
Ready to unlock and align your root chakra? Click here to join the BMS Studio!
Psst: You also receive all of the below materials too ⬇️
- Root Chakra Workbook (that’s insanely beautiful and badass)
- BONUS: Body-Mind-Earth Guided Relaxation Meditation
- Root Chakra Giveaway (two books, custom chakra mala, root chakra essential oil)
- Weekly root chakra focused emails
- Root chakra themed yoga class calendar
- Private studio community to support your root chakra experience
Now whether you join the studio or not, here’s why your root chakra alignment is SO CRUCIAL.
Because of it’s location in the physical and energetic body, it plays a massive role in your ability to release attachments, fixations, and addictions, as well as bring your dreams from consciousness down to earth plane.
Meaning, you can SPEND YEARS doing all of the prescribed energy work to heal your other chakras, only to end up STUCK AF.
This is where I’m at.
You can meditate every damn day, but if your back is always in pain, are you experiencing peace? You can visualize your dreams every morning, but if you aren’t getting enough sleep in the evening, will your day be joyful and purposeful? You can tap into creativity, but if you don’t trust yourself, will you be able to share your work? You can have a ridiculously open heart, but if you’re not choosing nourishing foods, your heart will close and suffer. You can exercise your power and do-do-do, but if you can’t balance your yin and yang energy, your doing will burn to nothing. You can master the art of FUN, but if you have no boundaries, when will the work get done?
This is what I was missing all these years. I didn’t get how important the root chakra is. It wholeheartedly is the foundation for all that we do. And if you’re like me, wildly curious about how to live your journey and not let it live you, then aligning this chakra is what we need to do.
Ready to align with me? Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh.
Awesome. Please unroll your yoga mat and do today’s practice, and if you’re wanting more of where that came from…. step inside the BMS Studio, where the entire month is waiting to support you!
I’ll meet you on the mat, ready to practice.
All my grounded love,